Live

Iran live updates: Rubio says 'significant progress' made in Iran talks

Trump on Saturday said an agreement had been "largely negotiated."

Last Updated: May 24, 2026, 12:43 PM EDT

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan in April failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of a U.S. blockade until negotiations are concluded "one way or the other."

10:09 AM EDT

Trump posts AI image of US drone destroying Iranian ships after announcing ‘agreement’ with Iran

After announcing Saturday on his social media platform that “An Agreement has been largely negotiated” between the U.S. and Iran, President Donald Trump Sunday morning posted an AI-generated image of a drone aircraft with a U.S. flag on it launching an attack on two Iranian-flagged ships, with the image caption “Adios.”

The image features smoke and flames billowing out of the Iranian ships, with bodies ejected from the vessels and falling into the ocean.

An AI-generated image posted on President Donald Trump’s social media platform May 24, 2026.
Truth Social

Trump said in his online post Saturday that the framework of the proposed deal is “subject to finalization” between the parties involved.

Iran has not yet signed on or publicly commented on the proposal.

Overnight, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said “significant progress” had been made in discussions with Iran. He added that that the administration has worked with Gulf regional partners over the last 48 hours on a possible framework aimed at keeping international waterways open and addressing concerns surrounding Iran's nuclear ambitions.

-ABC News' Emily Chang

7:36 AM EDT

US 'updating Israel' on Iran peace negotiations, source says

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has not officially responded to President Donald Trump's remarks that a U.S. deal with Iran has been "largely negotiated."

But a statement attributed to an Israeli political source was distributed to the local press with details of the Israeli leader's call with Trump on Saturday that focused on the emerging deal.

"The U.S. is updating Israel on the negotiations for a memorandum of understanding to open the Strait of Hormuz and entering into negotiations for a final agreement on the points that are in dispute," the source said.

"In a conversation last night with President Trump, the prime minister emphasized that Israel will maintain freedom of action against threats in all arenas, including Lebanon, and President Trump reiterated this principle," the source added.

"President Trump made it clear that he will stand firm in the negotiations on his consistent demand for dismantling the Iranian nuclear program and removing all enriched uranium from its territory, and that he will not sign a final agreement without accepting these conditions," the source said.

Netanyahu "reiterated his appreciation to President Trump for his long-standing and extraordinary commitment to Israel's security," the source said.

-ABC News' Jordana Miller and Rashid Haddou-Riff

6:49 AM EDT

'Serious concern' in Netanyahu's office over possible Iran deal, source says

A source familiar with the situation told ABC News on Sunday that there is "serious concern and disappointment" in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office over a possible deal between the U.S. and Iran to end the ongoing war. The source said that Israeli efforts are ongoing "to improve the outcome of the deal."

An Israeli official told ABC News that the emerging deal appears to be bad because "it signals to the Iranians they have a weapon no less effective than nuclear weapons, and that is the Strait of Hormuz." The official added that it is unclear what will happen after the first phase of the peace deal.

Netanyahu is expected to hold a security meeting with his top defense officials at 7 p.m. local time (12 p.m. ET) to discuss the emerging deal, an Israeli official told ABC News.

-ABC News' Jordana Miller and Rashid Haddou-Riff

5:08 AM EDT

Pakistan PM praises Trump's 'extraordinary' peace efforts

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif congratulated President Donald Trump on his "extraordinary efforts to pursue peace" with Iran in a post posted on X on Sunday, expressing hope to "host the next round of talks very soon."

Trump, Sharif said, had a "productive telephone call earlier today, with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkiye, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan." Sharif said Pakistan's army chief -- Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir -- took part in the call.

"Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity," Sharif wrote.

-ABC News' Rashid Haddou-Riffi and Habibullah Khan

Sponsored Content by Taboola