Venezuela earthquakes updates: 3-year-old boy pulled out of rubble after 6 days

Two powerful earthquakes struck Venezuela on Wednesday evening.

At least 1,943 people have died and another 10,571 people were injured from a pair of powerful earthquakes that devastated Venezuela, officials said.

The two quakes -- a 7.2 magnitude one followed just seconds later by a 7.5 -- struck the coast of Venezuela on Wednesday evening, knocking down buildings in Caracas, the capital, and sending residents racing into the street.

Responders are still undertaking rescue operations, searching for people thought to be under the rubble.


0

Quakes may become most devastating in Venezuela's modern history

The two powerful earthquakes may become the most devastating in Venezuela's modern history.

Venezuela sits along the Caribbean plate. It is not part of the infamous Ring of Fire that snakes around the Pacific Ocean, where earthquakes -- especially of higher magnitude -- are relatively common.

An earthquake of this high a magnitude causes so much damage in a place like Venezuela because Venezuela’s infrastructure is not as prepared as countries along the Ring of Fire, like Japan.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that the death toll will likely go over 1,000 and potentially could exceed 10,000.

-ABC News’ Kenton Gewecke


US Southern Command to support government relief operation

The U.S. Southern Command said it is working with the State Department to support a U.S. government relief operation in Venezuela.

“Our joint forces are moving quickly to bring the unmatched airlift, logistics, and lifesaving capabilities of the U.S. military to help save lives and support the Government of Venezuela during this crisis,” a SOUTHCOM statement said.


-ABC News’ Luis Martinez


Main airport closed until at least Friday

Simón Bolívar International Airport, Venezuela’s main airport in Caracas, will be closed until at least Friday, according to the Interior Ministry.


-ABC News’ Aicha El Hammar


More than 25,000 people reported missing

A website set up for Venezuelans to report missing loved ones has more than 25,000 people reported missing.


While not an official count of those confirmed missing, the website reflects the chaos on the ground as people try to reach family and friends.

The website says more than 1,200 people have been found after previously being reported missing.

-ABC News’ Aicha El Hammar