Nick Reiner fights for access to trust fund for defense, hearing continued to October

Nick Reiner is accused of fatally stabbing his parents at the family's home.

A hearing over whether accused killer Nick Reiner can access money from his trust fund for his defense has been continued until October.

Nick Reiner, 32, is accused of fatally stabbing his parents, renowned director Rob Reiner and his wife Michele Reiner, in the family's home in December.

Nick Reiner is looking to access more than $500,000 he says he's owed from a trust fund, saying he wants to use that money for his legal defense.

A financial steward for the trust fund argues that a piece of California law known as the "slayer statute" prevents a person from receiving trust fund money from a person they intentionally killed. The steward said Nick Reiner is innocent until proven guilty, and if he's found not guilty, he would get the money. However, if the funds were given to Nick Reiner now and he were later found guilty, there would be no way of getting the money back.

At a hearing on Monday, Nick Reiner's civil attorney Anita Wu asked Judge Ruben Garcia for a Breslin order, which forces beneficiaries to join private mediation, with Wu saying she hoped to reach a settlement in private mediation.

Garcia said that although his calendar is full until January, he is prioritizing this case, and he scheduled a hearing for Oct. 23.

Attorneys for the trustee said they're willing to go to mediation but didn't elaborate. Garcia made clear that mediation would be at least two weeks after the Oct. 23 hearing.

Nick Reiner's former defense attorney Alan Jackson, who withdrew from the case in January due to a lack of funds, was also at Monday's hearing.

Jackson said after court, "I am very pleased Judge Garcia ... is giving this case priority by putting it on the calendar as early as he possibly can."

"Nick Reiner is very much entitled to his own money, his own funds," he said.

Asked whether he wants to serve as Nick Reiner's counsel again, Jackson responded, "It's up to Nick. My hope is that we would."

An indictment unsealed last week charges Nick Reiner with two counts of murder with the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders and murder by means of lying in wait, according to prosecutors. He also faces a special allegation that he used a dangerous and deadly weapon, a knife. The 32-year-old pleaded not guilty and has been appointed a public defender.

Nick Reiner remains held on no bond and is next due in court on Sept. 15 for a pretrial hearing. No trial date has been set.